For information about dscout's compliance with GDPR and other steps we take to ensure data security and privacy, visit this page in our Help Center.
Last Updated: February 27, 2023
Table of Contents
- What Information Do We Collect & From What Sources Do We Collect It?
- How Do We Use the Information Collected?
- How and When Do We Disclose Information to Third Parties?
- Legal Basis for Use of Your Information
- How Do I Access, Change or Delete My Information, Exercise Choices and Change Communications Preferences?
- EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework
- Information Relating to Children
- How Information is Protected
- Do Not Track
- Additional Information for California Residents
- Contact Us
(1) What Information Do We Collect & From What Sources Do We Collect It?
How we collect and store information depends on how you access and use the Platform. We collect information when you provide information directly to us, when you permit third parties to provide information to us, and automatically, such as information collected from your browser or device. You can use some of the Platform without providing any information other than that automatically collected as described below.
(a) Required Registration Information
Researchers must create an account in order to access the Platform. To access limited features of the Platform, Researchers may sign up for a free researcher account, which requires email, company name, and password.
(b) Project and Mission Information
To build a Mission, Researchers must provide certain information for the creation of project and Mission components, including but not limited to a project name, Mission overview, Screener materials, specs for each Mission part, and survey questions.
(c) Automatically Collected Information
- Usage Information and Analytics. In addition to any information that you choose to submit to us, we and our third-party service providers, which include ad networks and analytics companies including Hubspot and Google Analytics, use a variety of technologies that automatically (or passively) collect certain information whenever you visit or interact with the Platform ("Usage Information"). This Usage Information includes the browser that you are using, the URL that referred you to the Platform, all of the areas within the Platform that you visit, and the time of day, among other information. In addition, we collect the IP address or other unique identifier ("Device Identifier") for a User's computer or other device used to access the Platform (a "Device"). A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to a Device used to access the Platform, and our computers identify a Device by its Device Identifier.
- Advertisements on Other Websites. We display advertisements for dscout on other websites and services. When you click on a dscout advertisement on these other websites and services, we receive information about the website or service that served the advertisement, and which advertisement you clicked. If you then interact with our Platform, we may combine the information about your activity with our advertisement with the information we subsequently collect and/or you subsequently submit on our website.
- Email Receipt. If you receive email from us, we may use certain analytics tools, such as clear GIFs to capture data such as when you open our message or click on any links or banners our email contains. This data allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns.
Some of the methods that we use to collect Usage Information, include, without limitation, the following (and subsequent technology and methods hereafter developed):
Cookies and Beacons
An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Platform, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your Device from our web server or a third party service provider, is active only while you are accessing the Platform, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
(d) Information Third Parties Provide About You
(e) Information You Provide About a Third Party
If you send someone else a communication from the Platform, such as sending an invitation to a friend or colleague, the information you provide (names, e-mail addresses, etc.) is used to facilitate the communication and is not used for any other marketing purpose unless we obtain consent from that person or we explicitly say otherwise.
(e) Payment and Tax Information
If you are a Researcher, the Platform may collect payment information, such as credit card information and associated account information (name and contact information of your point of contact). Credit card information is stored by a trusted third party payment processor. Our payment partner will share your payment information with credit card companies to process actual payments.
(2) How Do We Use the Information Collected?
We may use your information:
- to provide you with information or the Platform;
- to process transactions or payments;
- to process your registration to the Platform, including verifying your information is active and valid;
- to establish and conduct Missions;
- to analyze and synthesize research findings;
- to enhance or improve the Platform;
- to customize your experience on the Platform, or to provide you specific content that is most relevant to you;
- to contact you (such as via e-mail) with regard to your use of the Platform and, in our discretion, changes to the Platform and/or the Platform's policies;
- to send offers and promotional materials related to the Platform and for other dscout marketing purposes;
- for dscout's advertising, marketing, publicity and promotional activities;
- to transcribe interviews and/or videos;
- to analyze use of the Platform;
- for internal business purposes;
- to comply with any procedures, laws and regulations which apply to us, to comply with our legal obligations or, otherwise, where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others; or
- to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others.
We reserve the right to create and use anonymous information-information that cannot reasonably identify you or your device or as otherwise defined by applicable law-for any purpose and to disclose such information to third parties in our sole discretion.
(3) How and When Do We Disclose Your Information to Third Parties?
(a) Sharing Mission Information
We share information about Missions to potential Scouts.
(b) When You Agree to Receive Information from Third Parties
(c) Service Providers
We may use vendors to perform certain services on our behalf, such as hosting the Platform, designing and/or operating the Platform's features, tracking App or website analytics, and collecting mobile sensor data. We may provide these vendors with access to certain of your information to carry out the services they are performing for us. These vendors are not permitted to use your information other than for performing services for dscout.
(d) Advertising Partners
We may disclose your information to third party advertising networks or others in order to tailor and serve advertisements regarding the Platform to you.
(e) Administrative and Legal Reasons
We may access, use, preserve, transfer and disclose your information including disclosure to third parties: (i) to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, subpoenas, governmental requests or legal process if in our good faith opinion such is required or permitted by law, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; (ii) to protect and/or defend our agreements with our Users and our policies, including investigation of potential violations thereof; (iii) to protect the safety, rights, property or security of the Platform, dscout or any third party; and/or (iv) to detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues. Such disclosures may be carried out without notice to you.
(f) Business Transfer
We may disclose your Information to our parent, subsidiaries and affiliates for internal reasons. We also reserve the right to disclose and transfer all such Information: (i) to a subsequent owner, co-owner or operator of the Platform or applicable database; or (ii) in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring, the sale of substantially all of our equity and/or assets or other corporate change, including, during the course of any due diligence process.
(g) User-Generated Content
The Platform may permit Researchers to submit ideas, photographs, videos, writings, pictures, data, questions, comments, suggestions or other feedback in a forum available to the public; this information will become publicly available. dscout is not responsible for the use or misuse of any such content.
(h) With Your Consent
We disclose your Information for any other purpose disclosed by us at the time you provide the information.
(4) Legal Basis for Use of Your Information
- Where use of your information is necessary to perform our obligations under a contract with you (for example, to comply with our contract to provide our Access to you, );
- On the basis of implied or express consent, such as to send you certain information, including certain marketing communications; and/or
- For our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to ensure the security of our websites, operate our business and our websites, respond to your questions, engage in certain marketing, make and receive payments, prevent fraud, detect abuse, conduct analysis, improve the Platform, enforce legal terms, engage in a business change (e.g., sale, merger) to know the customer to whom we are providing Platform Access, and to create anonymized data.
(5) How Do I Access, Change or Delete My Information, Exercise Choices and Change Communications Preferences?
(a) Accessing and Correcting Information
You are responsible for maintaining the accuracy of the account information you submit to us. Except as described herein, the Platform will allow you to directly review, correct, update or remove your account information at any time. For automatically collected information, you also can exercise certain opt-out rights at this page or by contacting us as set forth in Contact Us below.
(b) Your Legal Rights
Your local laws (including those in the EEA, UK, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Virginia, or Utah) may permit you to exercise certain rights with respect to the information we collect from and about you. Please note your rights and choices vary depending upon your location. Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity and verify your request before responding to your request as required or permitted by applicable law. In some circumstances, if you still ask us to delete your information, you may no longer be able to access or use our Platform.
Depending on your location, you (or an authorized agent acting on your behalf) may make certain requests related to your personal information, including that we:
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain personal information we hold about you.
- Correct certain personal information we have about you.
- Restrict or object to certain processing of personal information.
- Delete certain personal information we have about you.
- Object to certain processing of information or withdraw consent (though such actions may not have retroactive effect).
dscout will make every effort to respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe as required by law. There may be circumstances where we are unable to provide you access to your personal data, including as described elsewhere in this Section. We will advise you of any reason for denying or restricting an access request.
To exercise any of the above rights (or any other rights under applicable law), please contact us by email at [email protected], or visit this page.
In situations in which we process personal data on behalf of our customer, such as when you are an employee of a Researcher, we may refer the request to the relevant customer and cooperate with their handling of the request, subject to any special contractual arrangement with that customer.
In addition to the rights above, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority. However, we encourage you to contact us first, and we will do our very best to resolve your concern.
(c) Deactivating Your Account; Retention of Your Information by dscout
(d) Marketing Emails
You can unsubscribe from marketing emails we send to you by clicking the “unsubscribe” link they contain. Please note that even though you may opt-out of receiving marketing-related communications from us, we may still send you transactional or administrative messages.
(e) Online Targeted Advertising Privacy Choices
To advertise the dscout services on other sites or platforms, we may allow third party advertising vendors to process certain browsing data from our website along with cookies, IP address or device identifiers or we may use hashed email address or contact information for such purposes. Residents of certain states such as California and Virginia may opt out of this activity, which may be a “sale” of their personal information under applicable law or sharing or processing of their personal information for targeted advertising. We may share or process for targeted advertising the following categories of information for such purposes which may be considered a sale:
- device information and identifiers, such as IP address, and unique advertising identifiers and cookies; connection and usage information, such as browsing history or app usage, geolocation information, such as city; and inference data.
Please note: we do not use Platform usage data other than web visits or Researcher information other than hashed contact information for these purposes. If you (or, if applicable under law, your authorized agent) would like to opt out of our sale or sharing or processing of personal information for such purposes, you can adjust your cookie preferences on our website.
You may still receive advertising, it just may not be tailored to your interests. Please note, if you use different browsers, devices, or services you will need to opt out on each browser or device where you want the choice to apply. In some cases, you may also be presented with form field to complete, in those cases we ask for your email address or other information so we may add it to an appropriate suppression list.
Please note that if you have a legally-recognized browser-based opt out preference signal turned on via your device browser (such as Global Privacy Control), we recognize such preference in accordance and to the extent required by applicable law.
For more information about advertising and how you can turn off certain advertisements in general, please visit youronlinechoices.com and www.youronlinechoices.com.au and www.youradchoices.com. You can also visit your mobile device manufacturer's website (or the website for its operating system) for instructions on any additional privacy controls in your mobile operating system, such as privacy settings for device identifiers and geolocation.
(6) EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework
dscout is based in and operates in the United States. dscout undertakes methods to transfer Personal Data as required by applicable law.
222 North LaSalle Street Suite 650
Chicago, IL 60601
E-mail: [email protected]
For such data, dscout has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the Principles to the International Center for Dispute Resolution, the international division of the American Arbitration Association. If you are located in the European Union and do not receive a timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit http://info.adr.org/safeharbor/ for more information and to file a complaint. As further explained in the Principles, a binding arbitration option will also be made available to individuals from the European Union in order to address residual complaints not resolved by other means.
We are accountable for our transfer of EU Personal Data to third parties, as described in the Principles. In particular, we remain responsible and liable under the Principles if our third party agents who engage in processing of EU Personal Data on our behalf do so in a manner inconsistent with the Principles, unless we prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
dscout is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
(7) Information Relating to Children
The Platform (particularly, the mobile applications for Scouts) is not intended for use by children under 13 years of age (or in the EU, children under the age of 16 years of age), and we do not knowingly collect personal information (as defined under COPPA) from children under 13 (or in the EU, under the age of 16 years of age) without the direct involvement of the minor's parents or guardians. If we learn that we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 or Personal Data from a child in the EU under the age of 16 without parent or guardian consent without legally-valid consent or other legal basis, we will take reasonable steps to delete that information. If you believe that we might have any Personal Information from or about a child under 13 or Personal Data from a child in the EU under the age of 16, please contact us as provided in the "Contact Us" section below.
(8) How Information is Protected
Your dscout account will be secured by User-created passwords. You are responsible for keeping your passwords confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
We implement physical, technical, and administrative measures to protect your Information stored within our databases, and we restrict access to such information to those employees who need access to perform their job functions, such as our customer support personnel and technical staff.
Despite these efforts, please note that we cannot 100% ensure or guarantee the security of your Information. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors could compromise the security of your Information. As such, you acknowledge and accept that we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to the Platform and that any such transmission is at your own risk.
(10) Do Not Track
You should be aware that your browser may have settings for Do Not Track. Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret Do Not Track signals, dscout does not honor Do Not Track signals from browsers, except legally-required browser based opt outs described herein.
(11) Additional Information for California Residents
If you are a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with some additional information regarding how we collect, use, and disclose your “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”).
|Category of Personal Information (see “What Information Do We Collect and From What Sources Do We Collect It” for more detail)||Use (see “How Do We Use the Information Collected” for more detail)||Disclosed to (see “How and When Do We Disclose Information to Third Parties” for more detail)|
|Identifiers (such as name and email address)|
|Commercial information (such as transaction data)|
|Internet or other network or device activity such as browsing history or app usage)|
|Device information and identifiers (such as IP address; browser type and language; operating system; platform type; device type; software and hardware attributes; and unique device identifiers)|
|General location data|
User-generated content that you submit through the Platform
|Audio or visual information|
|Professional, employment, educational, or other similar data|
Do Not Sell or Share Personal Information for Cross-Context Behavioral Advertising
California residents may opt out of the “sale” of their personal information and the sharing of their personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising (aka targeted advertising).
We may sell share (and over the past 12 months may have shared) the following categories of information for such advertising in order to promote our Platform and services to you with advertising networks or allow such third parties to collect information including: identification and demographics; device information and identifiers, such as IP address, and unique advertising identifiers and cookies; connection and usage information, such as browsing history or app usage; geolocation information, such as city; and inference data.
In addition, we may provide some of your information, including contact information or identifiers in a way that constitutes a sale to third parties or sharing or processing of their personal information for targeted advertising of our Platform and services.
If you (or, if applicable under law, your authorized agent) would like to opt out of our sale of sharing or processing of their personal information of your information for such purposes, you can adjust your cookie preferences on our website.
You may still receive advertising, including ads based on data collect by dscout on the Platform or through Missions. Please note, if you use different browsers, devices, or services you will need to make your choices separately to opt out of such activity for our websites.
As set forth above, we disclose certain personal information to Researchers when you choose to participate in Missions. This participation is excepted from the opt out requirements under California law
We retain your information as long as it is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collect it, unless a longer retention is required or permitted by law. We consider the nature and sensitivity of the information, the purposes for which we process the information, applicable legal requirements, and our legitimate interests in determining how long to retain information. Different processing purposes may dictate different retention periods for the same types of information.
Shine the Light Disclosure: Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits the users of the Platform who are California residents to request and obtain from us a list of what Personal Information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not provide your personal information (as defined by 1798.83) to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to dscout as outlined below, or use this page to submit a request
(12) Contact Us
222 North LaSalle Street Suite 650
Chicago, IL 60601
E-mail: [email protected]